Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundPrime
Chainkeen Exchange-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-05 21:15:48
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Chainkeen Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Newly identified remains of missing World War II soldier from Oregon set to return home
- 14-year-old Alabama high school football player collapses, dies at practice
- 19 Kids and Counting's Jana Duggar Marries Stephen Wissmann in Arkansas Wedding
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Recalled cucumbers in salmonella outbreak sickened 449 people in 31 states, CDC reports
- Detroit judge who had teen handcuffed for sleeping temporarily removed from his docket
- Ed Sheeran joins Taylor Swift onstage in Wembley for epic triple mashup
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Could Alex Murdaugh get new trial for South Carolina murders of wife and son?
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Watch as frantic Texas cat with cup stuck on its head is rescued, promptly named Jar Jar
- Rock legend Greg Kihn, known for 'The Breakup Song' and 'Jeopardy,' dies of Alzheimer's
- Sofia Richie Shares Special Way She’s Cherishing Mom Life With Baby Eloise
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- UNHCR to monitor implementation of Italy-Albania accord to ensure migrants’ asylum rights respected
- Beyond ‘childless cat ladies,’ JD Vance has long been on a quest to encourage more births
- Biden administration hikes pay for Head Start teachers to address workforce shortage
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Trader Joe's recalls over 650,000 scented candles due to fire hazard
Man who pulled gun after Burger King worker wouldn’t take drugs for payment gets 143 years in prison
What to know about the 5 people charged in Matthew Perry’s death
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Escaped inmate convicted of murder captured in North Carolina hotel after dayslong manhunt
Jury begins deliberations in trial of white Florida woman in fatal shooting of Black neighbor
Ex-Alabama officer agrees to plead guilty to planting drugs before sham traffic stop